It's Not About the Truth: The Untold Story of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case and the Lives It Shattered - Don Yaeger, Mike Pressler I had forgotten all about this book that I listened to while mowing last year. I stumbled across it on Amazon while looking for something else, and was reminded that I wanted to read another account of the incident: Until Proven Innocent Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case.

The Yaeger book certainly held my interest and generated a suitable amount of rage at the way the whole thing was handled. Even though the main source was clearly the coach, the extraordinary narcissism and stupidity of the players, the political ambition of the DA, the shallowness of the reporting, the self-serving faculty, and the general all-around incompetence of the university administrators comes across very nicely. The book (and other reports) reveal a society fractured by multiple groups, each having an agenda, and no one, it seems, willing to examine his own order of business. It also reveals the absolute necessity, if you are charged with something, of having deep pockets and access to good lawyers.

Pressler, as one would expect, appears the least culpable, but I remember thinking while listening, how divorced he seemed to be from supervision of these little rich white kids. Rape charges aside, no one seemed to question the unseemliness of getting hammered at a drinking party with a bunch of strippers.

The book and events that have unfolded since, have reinforced my resolve never to read or listen to the mindless simultaneous speculation of bloggers and pundits, and to wait a couple of years until the book comes out. Sure, I'll be behind the times, but at least I'll have a factual idea of what really happened. I do have to wonder, however, how events would have unfolded if the lacrosse players had been black with no money, and the stripper white.

I reserve total judgement until I've had a chance to review the other book.