Bodies Electric: A Novel - Colin Harrison Jack Whitman is a lonely VP (his wife had been killed in a drive-by several years earlier) in the “Corporation,” which is the largest media company in the world. One day on the way home he sees a woman and her four-year-old daughter on the subway (no cabs being available in the rain) and as she gets off, gives her his card, saying he could help her with a job. He thinks nothing more of it until she and her daughter arrive at his 39th floor office. She loses the job he gets her within a week. Against his better judgment (I’ll say) he locates the woman again. He finds a place for her to live in a building being remodeled, but the woman's husband discovers her location, trashes the building and they barely escape. So he invites her to stay in his house where he has an empty basement apartment.

In the meantime, there is a coup and counter-coup going on at the “Corporation.” At first I thought all the corporate stuff was getting in the way of the story, but as things progress, you realize that all of that is integral to defining who Jack is. Rather than supply additional details and litter my review with spoilers, I’ll just note that for me the book was a meditation on what it means to be a family and how members of families interact (or don’t) under external and personal pressures.

The technology is dated (wow, a 256 megabyte chip - that’s huge), but the human interactions and conflict are not. Harrison writes really well and the sense of foreboding clutches at the reader throughout driving one forward toward the conclusion. This is the third Harrison I’ve read, and he’s now on the must-read list.