Dark Tiger: A Stoney Calhoun Novel - William G. Tapply "Ten thousand volts of electricity had wiped out Stoney Calhoun's memories of his entire previous life, which, he figured, was a mixed blessing, at least. As well as he could tell, though, getting zapped by lightning hadn't affected his talents and abilities. The last seven years-his new life, and the only one he knew-had turned out to be a great adventure in self-discovery.”

That’s the premise behind this very charming series of mystery stories. Stoney is visited periodically by the Man in the Suit, who knows everything about Stoney’s past and who eagerly awaits the return of Stoney’s memory. Needing his help, an unidentified “agency,” blackmails Stoney into helping. “The Man in the Suit shrugged. ‘I could've asked,’ he said, ‘and you, of course, would've told me to go to hell, and if I then proceeded to threaten you, you'd 've just laughed at me, and so then I'd 've had to show you that we were serious about needing your help, so time being of the essence here, we figured we'd streamline the process and show you we were serious before asking you. . . .I’ve kept an eye on you. As you know. We don't miss much, Stoney. You've solved two murders since you've been up here in Maine. Your sheriff calls on you to help him figure things out. You've shown intelligence, initiative, and resourcefulness-and courage to burn-not even to mention all of the survival and self-defense and problem-solving skills that were instilled in you at great government expense.’ "

So Stoney is forced undercover by the “agency” as a fishing guide to a remote high class fishing lodge in northern Maine to investigate the killing of another agent, McNulty, who had been at the lodge but was discovered dead in a car with an underage girl, both having been shot, yet he and the girl already dead from botulism poisoning, the shooting being merely to make it look like murder/suicide. Soon after his arrival at the lodge, one of the other guides is murdered with Stoney’s gun and things start to get interesting as Stoney realizes he has many skills his conscious self cannot remember.

For those who care about such things, the title of each book, is the name of a fly-fishing fly.