The Chicago Way - Michael  Harvey Ably read by Stephen Hoye who brings just the right amount of bemused detachment and cynicism to the character. Ex-cop Michael Kelly is now a P.I. whose former partner shows up at his door and tells about a case he wants to hire Kelly to work on, a rape that was being covered up by his superiors.

Let me say that while I liked this book, there were some things that just didn’t fit or seemed implausible: the blackmail, the raped hooker from an original crime, the killings that seemed to be, in the end, totally unnecessary. Many of these issues left me with a feeling that it could have been done with more subtlety. The prose is good and the dialogue often witty, but it’s not enough to carry the story.

One thing that makes this book unique in the annals of hard-boiled noir is the subtext of Greek tragedy. Kelly refers several times to the Greek trilogy Oresteia, quoting from the original Greek. (Having had Greek many decades ago in high school I feel somewhat qualified to despair over Hoye's pronunciation, but it was a long time ago.) The plays have to do with revenge and three women bent on that revenge. But enough spoilers.

Enjoyable, if formulaic, hard-boiled noir.