The Tenor Wore Tapshoes - Mark Schweizer Another wickedly funny novel about Hayden, the local police chief/organist/choir director at St. Barnabas. Another plot within a plot, the interior story (hardly a story really) filled with outrageous similes.

The mystery in this one concerns a man, dead for 70 years who is discovered hidden in the altar but who is perfectly preserved, an “incorruptible” as it were. “"And is there such a thing as a true Incorruptible?" I asked. "It seems like a probable stage for a religious scam. Let's just say that it's 1580 and you're a Bishop of a cathedral that's having some franchise problems. The Protestants are pretty much undefeated going into the series. Your counter-reformation isn't going too well. Then one of your young nuns dies so you secretly embalm her, put her in a locked glass case, make up a story about how she's in-corrupt and died in ecstasy during her...” Fortunately, there is a rational explanation (spoiler: thorite)

Some new characters make their appearance: Brother Hog who uses a chicken to find the day’s Biblical reading and encourages “re-virgination”, a disappearing “Immaculate Confection” (a sweet roll with the likeness of the Virgin Mary that was bringing in lots of trade for Pete’s restaurant) and D’Artagnan (make of that what you will,) and Raymond Chandler.

Some quotes: “In the Episcopal church, pledge cards were as rare as hen's teeth—at least before Thanksgiving when the screws were tightened.”

Full disclosure: I was a boy soprano in a large Episcopal Church in New Haven in 6th and 7th grade at Sleeping Giant Junior High School (yes, that was its real name, but not the one in Montana). I’ll never forget that Palm Sunday when we forgot to lay down the palms at the front of the church and then decided we needed to get them up there, so all of a sudden these palms come flying up toward the front from the choir.