Shit My Dad Says - Justin Halpern Let's see. Is there any doubt at all in anyone's mind what the following words mean: sh*t, F*ck, G*d da*n, m*therf*cker, etc. Especially people who claim to be offended by "bad" words. Are you any more likely to be injured if I typed "fuck" instead of "f*ck?" There's this really stupid notion that asterisks somehow cleanse a word. Frankly, folks, whether you are offended by something is up to you. When I type fuck I have no intent to offend, it's just a silly word, an expression. If you choose to be offended, that's your fucking problem (normally, I wouldn't say that, but Ceridwen likes it.) OK, rant over.

I preface my remarks about this book, because if you don't like those words, this book will really bug you. It's filled with them. And if you don't like it because of the words, I feel sorry for you. It's a very funny book. My wife and I listened to it (extremely well read, with just the right inflections and expression by Sean Schemmel) and laughed so hard in a couple of places, I almost drove off the road.

Justin's father was a doctor specializing in nuclear medicine; his mother was going back to law school. The story of when his father took little Justin to a lecture he was giving on thyroid cancer to a bunch of doctors is hysterical. All Justin had to do was sit quietly in his seat in the auditorium for two hours. Naturally, Justin got restless (the Snickers bar his father gave him, lasted about 12 nanoseconds). Justin decided to see if he could crawl on the floor underneath empty seats from the front to the back of the auditorium. The result was predictably not what his father had hoped for. Very funny.

I suspect all of us fathers and grandfathers would love to have been like Justin's father who could say things like, "I just want silence... Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more."

Or the scene with the complaining father at Little League, or the teacher who didn't want to teach. I could go on and on. Delightful. Get the audio.

By the way, bullshit is a great word.