Cold in Hand - John Harvey So what makes a good police procedural: authentic police techniques, good characterization, multiple plot lines, but not so many that they seem irrelevant, a believable resolution.

This, the 11th (?) Charlie Resnick meets all the criteria. You can read a summary of the plot in the publisher’s description. It’s accurate without giving away too much.

This was my first Resnick novel; it will not be my last. There was a shocker about halfway through the book that took me completely by surprise. That surprise permitted Harvey to introduce a new character, Karen Shields, a black DCI who, I think, would make a marvelous new protagonist for a series. In this book she became my favorite. Resnick, almost retired, really takes second place to his live-in DI Lynn Kellogg and Karen. Events revolve around Kellogg and her investigation into a prostitution ring and a murder. Resnick becomes almost peripheral. I was astonished that in the other reviews I read, no one mentions Karen, because I thought she rapidly took center stage.

This is not a cozy. The world Harvey paints is dark and violent and the police are part of that violence both as instigators and victims.